Bridge Engineering Handbook, Second Edition: Seismic Design
Covers seismic design of concrete, steel and cable supported bridges, retrofit technology, dynamic and nonlinear analysis, and more
Supplies numerous worked-out examples that give readers step-by-step design procedures
Includes contributions by leading experts in bridge engineering from around the world
Over 140 experts, 14 countries, and 89 chapters are represented in the second edition of the Bridge Engineering Handbook. This extensive collection highlights bridge engineering specimens from around the world, contains detailed information on bridge engineering, and thoroughly explains the concepts and practical applications surrounding the subject.
Published in five books: Fundamentals, Superstructure Design, Substructure Design, Seismic Design, and Construction and Maintenance, this new edition provides numerous worked-out examples that give readers step-by-step design procedures, includes contributions by leading experts from around the world in their respective areas of bridge engineering, contains 26 completely new chapters, and updates most other chapters. It offers design concepts, specifications, and practice, as well as the various types of bridges. The text includes over 2,500 tables, charts, illustrations, and photos. The book covers new, innovative and traditional methods and practices; explores rehabilitation, retrofit, and maintenance; and examines seismic design and building materials.
The fourth book, Seismic Design contains 18 chapters, and covers seismic bridge analysis and design.
What’s New in the Second Edition:
• Includes seven new chapters: Seismic Random Response Analysis, Displacement-Based Seismic Design of Bridges, Seismic Design of Thin-Walled Steel and CFT Piers, Seismic Design of Cable-Supported Bridges, and three chapters covering Seismic Design Practice in California, China, and Italy
• Combines Seismic Retrofit Practice and Seismic Retrofit Technology into one chapter called Seismic Retrofit Technology
• Rewrites Earthquake Damage to Bridges and Seismic Design of Concrete Bridges chapters
• Rewrites Seismic Design Philosophies and Performance-Based Design Criteria chapter and retitles it as Seismic Bridge Design Specifications for the United States
• Revamps Seismic Isolation and Supplemental Energy Dissipation chapter and retitles it as Seismic Isolation Design for Bridges
This text is an ideal reference for practicing bridge engineers and consultants (design, construction, maintenance), and can also be used as a reference for students in bridge engineering courses.